Friday 9 March 2018

THIS BELGIAN SANDWICH IS NAMED AFTER A MACHINE GUN.

Mitraillette Meredith Bethune
The Mitraillette is a gut-bomb worth seeking out.

“I want that right now!” my father yelled, pointing to a photo on the menu at a Brussels food stand. It depicted a mitraillette, a foot-long baguette sandwich bursting with fries, mayonnaise, and mystery meat. My parents had recently arrived in Belgium, and I was leading them through the narrow cobblestone streets around the city’s famous Grand Place. I planned to introduce them to all the local delicacies—steamed mussels, handmade chocolates, warm waffles dusted with powdered sugar, and expertly-brewed Trappist beers.

The mitraillette, by contrast, isn't exactly refined. (It’s name means “submachine gun” in French.) Stopping for the sandwich was a detour on my itinerary, but I had to admit it incorporated one of the local food obsessions. There’s practically nothing more Belgian than fries: the country claims to have invented them. Every community, no matter how small or whether they speak Dutch or French, has at least one fry stand.



Full story at Saveur
By Meredith Bethune.




No comments:

Post a Comment